Anita was looking for a simple, low-carb side dish to take in her lunches to work. The pasta salads we normally made were just a bit too high in carbs, so I suggested we try a quick fix Italian salad. Tasty, easy, and low-carb, this salad was a welcome change and luckily, packed with flavor too!
This quick fix Italian salad is just a simple variation on a traditional side salad often found at picnics and family get-togethers. I keep the portion size small, making a week’s-worth of salads at once Sunday evening. I use little 1-cup sized seal-able reusable containers with screw-on lids. The lids keep the dressing from leaking out in case the containers are overturned.
Sometimes I mix things up just a big. Leave out the meat (making it the perfect side dish for my toasted Italian sandwich). Substitute spicy pepperjack cheese. Try a different Italian dressing. I still keep the salad low-carb, but you do have to mix things up (even if only slightly) to keep them from getting too boring.
Also try my creamy pasta salad.
Quick Fix Italian Salad
- Green olives drained, sliced or halved
- Black olives drained, sliced or halved
- Roasted red peppers chopped (I use Mezzetta's Deli-Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips)
- Thick-cut salami or Italian ham chopped
- Mozzarella or Swiss cheese sticks cubed
- Italian salad dressing
- Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.