I have to say that I have become quite addicted to smoking bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs on my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. They’re crazy easy and a lot more forgiving than say brisket or pork butt. And when they’re on sale they’re a tremendous bargain. I can fill my freezer with delicious pulled, chopped or shredded smoked chicken for darned near nothing. This right here is my go-to method for awesome smoked chicken thighs. You can use boneless and/or skinless but the bones and skin keep them moist and add tons of flavor. I pull the meat away and just chop it for whatever I want, be it sandwiches, nachos, backed potatoes…
I do not sauce my thighs while I’m smoking them. Since I’m not sure exactly how I’ll use the meat I keep it ‘dry’. You can always add sauce later, but you can’t un-sauce it. Well, not easily that’s for sure!
Awesome Smoked Chicken Thighs
- 5 pounds chicken thighs family pack, bone in, skin-on
- brine see below
- Your favorite rub or seasoning I used Chicken Sh*t Poultry Seasoning
- Place chicken into a large resealable container.
- Whisk together the brine ingredients until the salt has dissolved. Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Fire up your smoker for 225 F cooking. Use whichever wood you prefer (I went with apple).
- Remove chicken from the brine and rinse with cold water.
- Pat dry then sprinkle liberally with the rub on both sides.
- Tuck the skin underneath of the thighs and transfer to the smoker.
- Smoke for 2 hours or more until the internal temperature has reached 165 F.
- If you wish to sauce your thighs do so in the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Nutritional values are approximate.