Whoa. I was not expecting greatness from this grilled marinated asparagus. I was expecting to think “well, they’re vegetables… just try to get through this moment.” But heck no! These are fantastic! The marinade doesn’t drown the asparagus. It enhances that mild earthy flavor. Quite frankly, this may be the perfect grilled side dish.
The key to great grilled marinated asparagus is of course the asparagus. Fresh is best. If it’s a bit past it’s prime it might taste a bit sour. So grab the best you can find and you’ll enjoy the heck out of this dish. We sure did.
Grilled Marinated Asparagus
Whoa. I was not expecting greatness from this grilled marinated asparagus. I was expecting to think “well, they’re vegetables… just try to get through this moment.” But heck no! These are fantastic!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce preferably low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. I fill a large bowl with cold water and add ice. When I’m ready to use the ice bath I put whatever I am shocking (asparagus in this case) into a colander that fits into the bowl. This allows for the cold water to stop the cooking process. I can then lift the colander up and drain the vegetables.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes. Immediately drain and transfer to the ice bath until cooled. Drain well then dry on paper towels.
- Combine the vinegar, orange juice, oil, soy sauce and pepper in a shallow baking dish with a whisk. Add asparagus, toss to coat, and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Grill asparagus for 3-5 minutes on each side or until done. I prefer to use a grill basket since it keeps the asparagus from falling thru the grates.
Calories: 39kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 877IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutritional values are approximate.