This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I’m not ashamed to say it. I can put away some pot roast. Put a bowl of pot roast in front of me, and there’s only one outcome: an empty bowl. Put a bowl of this slow cooker BBQ pot roast in front of me and there’s only one outcome: me asking for seconds and probably thirds, with nothing but empty bowls between rounds. That same great flavor as a traditional pot roast, completely amped up with BBQ flavors. This is surprisingly different and really a treat to eat!
I used a sweet and spicy BBQ sauce when I made this slow cooker BBQ pot roast. You want something with a smoky flavor, and maybe even a bit of a spicy kick. After all, this isn’t your normal pot roast. I wouldn’t go with something that’s over-the-top sweet but a little bit is ok. Just like with the heat. A little heat is a good thing.
The broth in this pot roast screams ‘dip something in me’. So I made some Italian breadsticks on the side. I saved as much of the broth as I could for the end, at which point I got to soppin’ with my breadsticks!
Also try my slow cooker Mississippi pot roast.
Slow Cooker BBQ Pot Roast
- 2 – 3 pound chuck roast some fat removed
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 large Russet potatoes chopped into chunks (I left the skin on)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme crumbled
- ½ cup water plus more, possibly
- Place everything into your slow cooker, starting with the meat first.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or until the meat is fall-apart tender, stirring every hour after the first 4 hours. Add more water as you go if the pot roast is thicker than you prefer.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional values are approximate.