This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I cannot find pre-made taco salad bowls anywhere. I’ve checked every grocery store within 200 miles of our house. Ok, well, maybe 5 miles but still, they’re nowhere to be found! A quick Google search and I came upon a video from Food Wishes that is the best (BEST!) step-by-step approach to making your own salad bowls at home! So I did it too and these homemade taco salad bowls were fantastic. Perfectly crunchy, not oily and just the right size for our taco salad dinner (using my slow cooker taco meat)!
I used 8″ flour tortillas when making homemade taco salad bowls. They fit perfectly around 4″ ramekins to get their shape. If you’re after a bigger salad bowl, you’ll obviously need bigger tortillas. And bigger ramekins. You can’t fit a 10″ or 12″ tortilla around a 4″ ramekin, so plan ahead!
Oh, and only flour tortillas will do for this approach.
Homemade Taco Salad Bowls
- 2 flour tortillas 8-inch diameter
- vegetable or canola oil
- 2 ramekins 4-inch diameter
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush the tortillas with oil on both sides.
- Place ramekins upside down on a baking sheet. Cover with the tortillas. Gently push down on the sides to shape the tortilla around the ramekin.
- Tear off 2 8" x 16" pieces of foil. Fold in half to form an 8" x 8" rectangle. Place on top of the tortilla and press down all sides. The foil will keep the tortilla shaped like a bowl.
- Flip over the ramekins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the ramekins from the bowls. Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the tortilla from the foil.
- Carefully remove tortilla from foil. Flatten out the foil and place bowl on top. Bake another 8-10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Flip bowls upright and bake another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to let cool to room temperature. Bowls will become crispy as they cool.
Nutritional values are approximate.