I smoked a big ole bologna chubb not long ago. Of course I ended up with a lot of bologna. I ended up slicing it nice and thick, freezing some of it for later. Later as in ‘for the best fried bologna sandwich ever’ later. This is the sandwich bologna was invented for. Fried bologna with just a little bit of crunchy char around the edges. Melted gooey cheese. Crunchy BBQ chips and lettuce. And the tang of pickled chow chow. Mustard. Mayonnaise. All on white bread.
You must use white bread when you make a fried bologna sandwich. It’s a law. Or should be. Let’s face it, you didn’t make this sandwich because of it’s organic farm fresh ingredients. This isn’t fru-fru, this is a big ole honkin’ sandwich that you’ll love.
Fried Bologna Sandwich
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 slice bologna at least 1/2" thick. If you can't find thick bologna, use 4 thin slices instead.
- 2 slices white sandwich bread Wonder Bread
- prepared yellow mustard
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 tablespoons chow chow or a sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup BBQ potato chips
- 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce shredded
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, spread one side of one of the bread slices with mayo. Spread one side of the other slice of bread with the mustard.
- Cut a 1" wide 'X' pattern in the middle of the bologna if using thing slices. This will keep it from curling. I didn't have to do this with my thick bologna.
- Add bologna to skillet and swirl around to coat the bottom in the butter. Cook a few minutes until browned, then flip and repeat.
- Add the cheese slices to the bologna and cook another minute to melt.
- Place the bologna on top of the mayo-topped bread slice.
- Add the chow chow, potato chips and shredded lettuce.
- Add the last piece of bread and gently push down on the sandwich to just crush the chips. Don't destroy them, just make the sandwich bite-able.
Nutritional values are approximate.