This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
You know those eating contests you see on TV sometimes? Like the one with the hot dogs, where they eat 200 hot dogs in 5 minutes or something? Why hot dogs? Why not these much-better can’t-stop-eating crazy-good spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp instead? Heck, I’m up to an eating challenge with these little delicious morsels. You sit down with a plate of these and 5 minutes later you’re thinking… where’d they go? And… do we have more?
Don’t let the ‘spicy’ in spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp scare you off. They aren’t scary spicy, not by any stretch. They have just the right amount of kick to them. And a bit of smokiness from the bacon and even a bit from the chipotle powder (it is made from smoked dried jalapenos after all). And a tad bit of sweetness thanks to the brown sugar. If you want to skip the chipotle powder you can, but you might want a bit of color so add a little paprika in it’s place.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. I makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
Also try my Buffalo shrimp.
Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Wrap each piece of shrimp in a piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and chipotle powder. Stir until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Brush 1/3rd of the the butter mixture over the shrimp, reserving the remainder.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Grill the shrimp over indirect heat for 5 minutes per side. Move to direct heat then brush with half of the remaining butter mixture.
- Cook a few more minutes until the bacon is almost done. Brush with the remaining butter mixture and cook another minute or two.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.