You know those eating contests you see on TV sometimes? Like the one with the hot dogs, where they eat 200 hot dogs in 5 minutes or something? Why hot dogs? Why not these much-better can’t-stop-eating crazy-good spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp instead? Heck, I’m up to an eating challenge with these little delicious morsels. You sit down with a plate of these and 5 minutes later you’re thinking… where’d they go? And… do we have more?
Don’t let the ‘spicy’ in spicy bacon-wrapped shrimp scare you off. They aren’t scary spicy, not by any stretch. They have just the right amount of kick to them. And a bit of smokiness from the bacon and even a bit from the chipotle powder (it is made from smoked dried jalapenos after all). And a tad bit of sweetness thanks to the brown sugar. If you want to skip the chipotle powder you can, but you might want a bit of color so add a little paprika in it’s place.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. I makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
Also try my Buffalo shrimp.
Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Wrap each piece of shrimp in a piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and chipotle powder. Stir until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Brush 1/3rd of the the butter mixture over the shrimp, reserving the remainder.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Grill the shrimp over indirect heat for 5 minutes per side. Move to direct heat then brush with half of the remaining butter mixture.
- Cook a few more minutes until the bacon is almost done. Brush with the remaining butter mixture and cook another minute or two.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.