I never met a baked potato I didn’t like. It started as a kid, going to a steakhouse with my parents. Ordering a loaded baked potato was like a right of passage. As important as the steak, the potato was always something I remembered. Now, I make all sorts of variations on the classic, like these cedar plank jalapeno popper twice baked potatoes. Yep, saying them is a mouthful. And yep, I devoured mine by the mouthful too. Packed with all sorts of great flavor, a great kick, and creamy potato goodness, these potatoes give classic bakers a run for their money.
If you’re afraid of the spiciness from the jalapeno, you can omit them and still have fantastic potatoes. But, I have found that cooked jalapenos tend to be less spicy, adding a wonderful pepper flavor without a lot of heat. You can substitute poblano but you’re going to have a hard time explaining your cedar plank poblano popper twice baked potatoes!
Also try my cedar planked Hasselback potatoes.
Cedar Plank Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
For the potatoes
For the filling
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded , divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons Ranch seasoning mix 1 1/2 (1 ounce) packets of store-bought seasoning
- 4 medium jalapeno peppers seeded, diced, divided
- 4 slices bacon cooked, crumbled, divided
- 2 tablespoons green onion diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Rinse and dry the potatoes. Poke each several times with a knife. Pour a little oil on each potato and coat on all sides. Sprinkle liberally with the salt.
- Cook potatoes for 1 hour or until tender. Remove and let cool enough to handle.
- Lay the potatoes on their sides. Cut a slice off the top of the potato.
- Using a spoon, carve out the center of the potatoes, transferring the potato insides to a large bowl. Transfer the now-hollow potatoes to a baking sheet.
- Add the filling ingredients to the potato, reserving 1/2 cup of the cheddar and enough of the diced jalapeno and bacon for topping later. Mix well.
- Transfer the potato filling to the hollow potatoes. Top with remaining cheddar and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with reserved jalapenos and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.