I had bar food on my brain. Not sure how it got there but I was dreaming of potato skins, nachos, sliders… and chili cheese fries. Nothing beats chili on a cold day, sure… but put it over crispy fries and top it with a creamy, ooey-gooey cheese sauce, and well… Hey, it’s bar food time!
You could keep going with the toppings on chili cheese fries. Yeah, throw some sliced jalapenos on there, sure. Some sour cream? Yeah. Whatever you want, it can go on there because there aren’t any rules when it comes to bar food. I know because I’ve eaten my share of bar food.
Chili Cheese Fries
For the fries
- 26 ounce frozen French fries
- 4 cups chili I made a batch of Carrol Shelby's chili, but you can use your own recipe or even canned chili, whichever you prefer
- other toppings optional, consider adding sliced jalapenos, sour cream, whatever you like!
For the fries
- Prepare the fries per package instructions. Meanwhile make the cheese sauce (below).
- Serve fries topped with chili, cheese sauce and whatever favorite toppings you prefer.
For the cheese sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder and whisk to combine.
- While whisking, slowly add in the milk. Let the sauce come to a simmer and stir to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese until smooth, creamy and melted. If the sauce gets too thick stir in a bit more milk.
Nutritional values are approximate.