I picked up a case of Hatch chiles once they were in season last summer. I ended up roasting most of them. They freeze really well, which is great because I can then use them throughout the rest of the year, in everything from sauces to slaws. Roasted Hatch chile slaw is a sweeter, more mellow version of my roasted poblano slaw. The Hatch chiles add such a great mild chile pepper flavor without a spicy kick. Now, if you prefer spiciness, add a minced jalapeno or two or three.
Not everyone has access to fresh Hatch chiles (which is kind of sad, really, because I’ve really fallen in love with cooking with them). You can substitute canned chopped green chiles, or green bell pepper if prefer. Of course you can’t call it roasted Hatch chile slaw if you !
I recently discovered Blue Plate mayonnaise, which I think is the best around. If you can’t find it locally you can pick it up online for a fair price.
To roast the pepper a grill is best, but you can also throw them on a pan under the broiler, turning often, until the skin is nice and charred. Place in a bowl, covered, for 15 minutes then remove the charred skin. Don’t place the roasted peppers under running water, that’ll wash away some of that great roasted flavor.
Roasted Hatch Chile Slaw
- 2 Hatch chiles if you can’t find any, substitute a 4 ounce can of roasted green chiles and skip the roasting step
- ½ medium green cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice you might want a bit more
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crumbled Cotija cheese for topping (or substitute crumbled Feta), optional
- Roast the chiles on your grill or under your broiler until the skin is blackened. Let cool slightly then remove the burnt skin. Remove the seeds and stem and chop.
- Place the chiles, cabbage and cilantro into a large bowl. Combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients not including the cheese.
- Pour over the slaw mixture.
- Serve topped with the cheese if using.
Nutritional values are approximate.