Chef John Besh’s book, Besh Big Easy, is full of easy-to-make recipes. The kind that I like. Southern- and Louisiana-inspired. Take this wonderful country coleslaw. It has your ‘usual’ ingredients, but with a twist (to me, at least). I’ve never had sweet pickle relish in a slaw, and I found it to be absolutely fantastic. So is the addition of rice wine vinegar. Great flavors out of such a simple dish. That’s key.I wouldn’t be afraid to add fresh jalapeno rings to this country coleslaw. Anita would tell me to not do it, though. I’d have to add it to my bowl and just enjoy the heat on my own. For more heat, try my firecracker slaw.
- 1 head cabbage chopped or sliced thin
- 1 onion chopped or sliced thin
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cabbage, onion, green onions, relish and carrot into a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add to vegetables and fold to combine.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.