This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Here recently I bought my first ever case of Hatch chiles. I had no idea how big a case would be, but I do now. Over 150 peppers. I roasted them all, freezing some (whole) for later use. The rest, well, I put to work immediately. Starting with this wonderful roasted Hatch chile queso dip. The roasted chiles add such a fantastic flavor to what is your pretty-much-standard queso dip (which is mighty good to start with). Nice and creamy, this is the perfect dip for a party. I didn’t add any hot sauce, but you could. Just don’t go crazy with it, you don’t want to hide the taste of the peppers.
You can use this recipe for roasted Hatch chile queso dip to make a great topping for hamburgers or hot dogs. Just cut back on the half and half and let the sauce come to the desired thickness.
If you can’t find roasted Hatch chiles, you can substituted canned roasted chiles or, you can roast poblano or Anaheim chiles in the oven or on the grill and use those instead. Or get the real deal delivered directly to your door.
Roasted Hatch Chile Queso Dip
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook another minute.
- Add the flour, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk. Stir and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Slowly stir in the half and half until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
- Stir in the Hatch chiles and serve warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.