Oh man did these steakhouse smash burgers ever hit the spot. Juicy patties. Crisp fresh toppings. All with a wonderful creamy sauce that has a little tang that’s not so strong it hides all the great burger flavors. These burgers are proof that even the simplest sauce can make a ‘plain’ burger something special. I love smash burgers and this right here is exactly why. You can’t beat them, from ease-of-cooking to fantastic flavor, they’re always a winner.
Making steakhouse smash burgers isn’t difficult. You don’t need a bunch of fancy equipment or a lot of time. Just a hot griddle and a burger press. Any griddle will do, whether it’s on a grill (I use my Weber), cooktop, stove or even a standalone outdoor flattop. Just get those patties nice and thin and use quality fresh toppings. And a great sauce. Once you have the steps down you’ll be cranking out smash burgers all day long with ease.
Of course you can use any toppings you want. Sometimes I just go with cheese. These burgers don’t have to be all fancy fru-fru. They just have to be great (and they are!).
Also try my smash burgers with zesty sauce.
Steakhouse Smash Burgers
For the sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and steak sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the burgers
- Fire up your grill for direct medium-high heat cooking. You can also use an outdoor or indoor griddle or a large skillet on a stove.
- Season the burger patties with salt and pepper on both sides. Don’t be shy with the seasoning.
- Place the patties on grill. Smash down with a spatula or grill press.
- Grill the burgers for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Top the patties with cheese and grill until they’ve reached your desired doneness and the cheese is melted. Remove from the grill.
- Toast the buns as desired.
- Make the burgers by first spreading some of the sauce on the bun bottoms.
- Add a burger patty.
- Add onion, lettuce, tomato and pickle slices.
- Slather the top bun with more of the sauce and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.