A salad doesn’t have to be complicated to be great. A few fresh ingredients, a few canned, with a great dressing, and you have a big batch of colorful salad that is sure to impress at your next family gathering. This Georgia caviar (sounds fancier than ‘some beans with pepper and onion and black-eyed-peas salad’) has a great crispy fresh crunch, sweetness from corn, and that great black-eyed pea flavor.
I grew up on black-eyed peas and I still love them. My dad is (apparently) required to have them at every meal. He grew up on them too.
I can’t say any more about this Georgia caviar. I just keep looking at the picture and thinking, ‘dang, that was a great salad’. It really was. So refreshing.
For the dressing
- Place sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the oil.
For the salad
- Combine all ingredients except the salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the dressing and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.