We both love having breakfast for dinner. We don’t usually have time in the mornings to make an elaborate breakfast, so making it for dinner lets us go wild.
I used homemade breakfast sausage on these cowboy breakfast sandwiches, but of course store-bought sausage works just as well. Don’t skip the jalapenos, they are what really sets this sandwich apart. They aren’t too hot, they just add some zing.
Also try my crazy-good country ham and egg muffins.
Cowboy Breakfast Sandwiches
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 4 breakfast sausage patties
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- kosher alt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pickled jalapeno slices to taste
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and melt. Spread the remaining butter on the bread. Fry the bread until lightly browned on each side, adding more butter to the skillet if needed.
- Heat another skillet over medium heat and cook the sausage.
- Lightly beat the eggs, half-and-half and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add in the jalapeno.
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour in the egg mixture. Bake until the eggs are done, about 20-25 minutes. Cut into 4 squares.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a slice of cheese on 4 pieces of the bread. Top with the egg, a sausage, and another slice of bread.
Nutritional values are approximate.