Carrots are proof a side dish doesn’t have to be complicated, or boring. These spicy cranberry glazed carrots are the perfect fall dish. At first glance they may look like your standard glazed carrots, but oh no, my friends, they are not. They are covered in a wonderful cranberry reduction that is sweet…. with a little heat.
These spicy cranberry glazed carrots are another fantastic recipe from Chile Pepper magazine. I have been a subscriber of the magazine for years and years. Even if you’re not a chile head, or into super spicy foods, Chile Pepper magazine is still a great magazine, full of recipes (you can always tame down the heat) and product reviews and articles. If you are a chile head then, well, wait are you waiting for! Subscribe today and you won’t regret it. I love it.
If yu decide to grill these carrots, I recommend that you use a grill basket. I makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
Spicy Cranberry Glazed Carrots
On the grill
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Place carrots in a large bowl and add the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the pepper flake, and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Toss to coat.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes, turning once or twice, until tender, 5-10 minutes. Remove.
On the stovetop
- Heat 1″ of water in a large skillet to a boil.
- Add the carrots and cook until tender 5-10 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Combine oil, 2 teaspoons of the pepper flake, and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Add the carrots and toss to coat. Return to the skillet over medium heat and cook another 2-3 minutes.
For the glaze
- Place cranberry juice and remaining 1 teaspoon of red pepper flake and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and simmer until reduced by half.
- Place cooked carrots in a large bowl. Add cranberry juice reduction and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.