Where have I been that I have not been sprinkling my fried shrimp with Old Bay seasoning? Now I can’t stop doing it, and I have no intention of stopping either. These kickin’ fried shrimp are really great. But, they’re amazing with that just a bit more Old Bay at the end. I couldn’t get enough of these.
The coating on these kickin’ fried shrimp is perfect. It’s a tad crunchy. It’s crazy delicious. And it sticks to the shrimp. Man, there’s nothing worse than picking up a piece of fried shrimp only to have the batter fall off. That’s a recipe for sadness right there.
Also try my Bayou fried shrimp.
Kickin’ Fried Shrimp
- Heat 3-4" of oil to 350 F in a Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay. Toss to coat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, remaining Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Add shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off excess.
- Dip shrimp in the egg mixture. Shake off excess.
- Return shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off excess.
- Working in batches, fry the shrimp 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- If desired, sprinkle a bit more Old Bay over the shrimp before serving with your favorite cocktail sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.