Where have I been that I have not been sprinkling my fried shrimp with Old Bay seasoning? Now I can’t stop doing it, and I have no intention of stopping either. These kickin’ fried shrimp are really great. But, they’re amazing with that just a bit more Old Bay at the end. I couldn’t get enough of these.
The coating on these kickin’ fried shrimp is perfect. It’s a tad crunchy. It’s crazy delicious. And it sticks to the shrimp. Man, there’s nothing worse than picking up a piece of fried shrimp only to have the batter fall off. That’s a recipe for sadness right there.
Also try my Bayou fried shrimp.
Kickin’ Fried Shrimp
Where have I been that I have not been sprinkling my fried shrimp with Old Bay seasoning? Now I can’t stop doing it, and I have no intention of stopping either. These kickin’ fried shrimp are really great.
Servings 8 servings
- 2 pounds shrimp medium sized, peeled and deveined
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 1/2 teaspoons OId Bay seasoning divided, plus more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Heat 3-4" of oil to 350 F in a Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay. Toss to coat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, remaining Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Add shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off excess.
- Dip shrimp in the egg mixture. Shake off excess.
- Return shrimp to the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off excess.
- Working in batches, fry the shrimp 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- If desired, sprinkle a bit more Old Bay over the shrimp before serving with your favorite cocktail sauce.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 337mg | Sodium: 948mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 146IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.