These Bayou fried shrimp are absolutely incredible. I’m quite sure that they are the best shrimp I’ve ever made or had. The coating is nice and light, with just a bit of crunch, and a bit of a spicy kick. The shrimp are tender, moist, and cooked perfectly. They are the perfect appetizer, but would be even more insanely good on a shrimp po boy sandwich.
The marinade and coating mixture I used on this Bayou fried shrimp would also be fantastic on other fried seafood, from oysters to any kind of fish. It’s really great stuff, adding flavor to just about anything.
If I’m cooking for a crowd, I’ll break out my big deep fryer. But, if it’s just the two of us, I’ll fire up my Fry Daddy fryer. It’s the perfect size for both of us. It fries everything perfectly. And as an added bonus, it doesn’t use a lot of oil, which saves me money.
Also try my copycat of Applebee’s Sriracha shrimp, coconut fried shrimp, southern fried shrimp, and my copycat of Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang shrimp. Did I mention how much I love fried shrimp? Oh yeah, my kickin’ fried shrimp are fantastic too!
Bayou Fried Shrimp
- 3 pounds shrimp large, raw, shelled, deveined. Leave the tails on if desired, but remove the tails if using for po boys.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or a 10 ounce package Tony Cachere's Seasoned fish fry mix
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place shrimp into a resealable container or baggie.
- In a large bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, mustard and 1 teaspoon of Creole seasoning.
- Pour mixture in with the shrimp, seal, and shake gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Whisk together the fish fry mix and remaining Creole seasoning.
- Heat 3″ of oil in a Dutch oven to 325 F.
- Working in batches, remove shrimp from container. Shake off excess marinade then transfer to the fry mix. Roll and coat. Shake off an excess coating and place in hot oil.
- Fry shrimp 1 1/2 minutes per side then transfer to a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or on a po boy.
Nutritional values are approximate.