I so love the flavors of a muffuletta sandwich. Great meats, great cheese, and Italian olive salad. Warmed just slightly until the bread is soft and the cheese is ooey-gooey. I could eat muffulettas all day long. Which brings me to my gripe. Why doesn’t every single sandwich shop sell muffulettas? I mean, seriously, it’s the best sandwich there is. Oh sure, you can get your roasted turkey with avocado, and maybe a ham on rye, but really… Just jump to the chase and enjoy the best sandwich ever devised. The muffuletta.
I used my homemade Italian olive salad. It takes a day to make, but it is well worth the time. If you don’t want to make your own olive salad, pick up a big jar of Biscoli olive salad at your grocery store.
- 1 loaf Italian bread cut in half horizontally
- 3 cups olive salad
- 4 ounces mozzarella sliced thin
- 6 ounces capicola sliced thin
- 4 ounces salami sliced thin
- 4 ounces mortadella sliced thin
- 2 ounces sandwich pepperoni sliced thin
- 4 ounces provolone sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spread the olive salad on each half of the bread, 1 1/2 cups per side.
- Next, place sliced mozzarella over the salad on the bottom piece of bread. Top with the meats.
- Place provolone on top piece of bread and place on top of bottom, to make a sandwich.
- Wrap tightly in foil and heat 20 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.