I love olive salad. I could probably eat muffuletta sandwiches any day, every day. It takes a bit of work, but I prefer my homemade olive salad. But, if time is of the essence, I take no shame in using a great, quality store-bought olive salad like the one from Boscoli. Putting olive salad on a grilled cheese sandwich seemed like not only a good idea, but a great idea. Muffuletta grilled cheese sandwich? Yes!
You can use sliced provolone, but for really big extra flavor, use our smoked provolone cheese sauce instead. It makes for an amazing, oeey-gooey muffuletta grilled cheese sandwich.
So, the question is… do you flatten your grilled cheese? Many say it’s not a grilled cheese unless you press down on it and make it super thin. I like mine thick. Sorry 🙂
Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened, halved
- 2 slices Texas toast
- Provolone cheese
- olive salad store bought, or make your own
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the butter and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Spread remaining butter on one side of each slide of bread.
- Top one slice of bread with a slice of cheese then add a few tablespoons of olive salad.
- Add another slice of cheese and the remaining slice of bread.
- Transfer to the pan and cook on one side until golden brown.
- Flip carefully and cook until other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Let rest a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.