I’ve made ‘normal’ jalapeno poppers on my grill, smoker and using my Char-Broil Big Easy many, many times. These scorpion tails are like jalapeno poppers, but they’re a bit more fru-fru shall we say. Instead of cream cheese I used velvety smooth Havarti cheese. Havarti is one of the favorite cheeses in our household, often found on our sandwich wraps and grilled cheese sandwiches. Instead of smoky bacon I used prosciutto. You still get that same wonderful pepper flavor, and a little kick, and pork yummy-ness. Just a bit more special, and definitely something different to amaze and wow your guests!
I often dust my jalapeno poppers with my favorite rub before cooking them, but I decided to skip doing that with these scorpion tails. I didn’t want anything to mask the flavors of the cheese and prosciutto. You can certainly add some rub or seasoning if you wish. But if it was me, I’d skip it or keep it very light.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. It makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
For a totally different take on jalapeno poppers, try some okra poppers. Yeah, okra.
- 9 jalapenos halved, membranes and seeds removed
- 9 ounces jalapeno Havarti cheese softened
- 18 slices prosciutto
- Fire up your smoker for smoking at 250 F. Use a medium wood such as hickory.
- Fill the jalapeno halves with the cream cheese. Iv’e found that I can spread the cheese in with a knife if it has softened enough. If not, just cut the cheese into thin slices and then fill the peppers.
- Wrap each pepper in a slice of prosciutto.
- Smoke for 20-30 minutes or until softened.
Nutritional values are approximate.