Oh, I’ve made my share of pulled pork sandwiches. And I love them. Sometimes you want something a little different, but still with that great BBQ flavor. BBQ pinwheels are an excellent alternative to sandwiches. They’re easy to make, easy to eat, and very tasty. They also make for the perfect party appetizer.
You can use anything from pulled or shredded pork, chopped brisket, smoked chicken, or even rotisserie chicken. For a spicier kick, substitute pepper jack or habanero jack cheese for the cheddar and use a spicy BBQ sauce.
If I’m reaching for a bottled BBQ sauce, I often go for Sweet Baby Ray’s.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tube pizza dough
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce plus more for serving
- 1 ½ cups pulled pork pulled pork, pulled chicken, rotisserie chicken, chopped brisket… whichever you prefer
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar shredded (Swiss, provolone or pepper jack also go well)
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a flat surface.
- Open the pizza dough and spread it over the flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Brush the BBQ sauce all over the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with the meat, onion, cheese and parsley.
- Starting with the longest edge, roll the dough up into a long cylinder.
- Cut the cylinder into 1″ wide sections and transfer, laying down flat, to a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes or until hot and the dough is crispy and done.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce, warmed, for dipping if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.