One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving dinner is the big selection of appetizers you can munch on while you’re waiting on the meal to get ready. These little BBQ hot dog appetizers are very easy, but also very tasty. Sure you can cheat and just toss some dogs with store-bought BBQ sauce, but you’ll find that this homemade version is oh so much better.
Of course, you can eat these any time of the year. They’re the perfect kind of treat that can be thrown together quickly when watching the big game.
Also try my BBQ pinwheels.
BBQ Hot Dog Appetizers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce optional, to taste
- 10 hot dogs cut into bite-sized pieces
- Melt the butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until it just starts to soften.
- Add the ketchup, vinegar, water, mustard, paprika and Worcestershire sauce. Stir. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add hot sauce if desired.
- Add the hot dogs and simmer until warm. Serve warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.