This right here is what potato salad is supposed to be. I’ll never make another potato salad again because there just isn’t any point. Leatha’s Bar-B-Que Inn red potato salad is it. I’ve never been there, but Leatha’s sounds exactly like the kind of BBQ joint that I would love. From the atmosphere to the food to the service, it receives nothing but high praise. I’m sure Hattiesburg, Mississippi, considers themselves lucky to have it!
This potato salad is traditional in flavors, texture and appearance. The balance of everything is perfect. Just the right amount of egg. The right amount of mustard. Not too much mayonnaise. Everything is spot-on.
Don’t go messing with Leatha’s Bar-B-Que Inn red potato salad. Don’t add bacon. Or onion. Or smoked paprika. None of that. I mess with a lot of recipe, but I won’t mess with this one. I’d probably get hit by lightning.
Also try my grilled steakhouse potato salad and my just-like-grandma’s potato salad.
Leatha’s Bar-B-Que Inn Red Potato Salad
- 5 pounds red potatoes cubed
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs hard-boiled, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 ounces pimentos drained
- Add the potatoes to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, the smashed eggs, pepper and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the mustard, sugar, mayo, relish and pimentos.
- Pour the mustard mixture over the potatoes and stir gently to coat.
Nutritional values are approximate.