I love shrimp. Boiled peel-and-eat shrimp loaded with Old Bay flavor are my favorite. All I need is a bit of spicy cocktail sauce and I’m ready to go. I thought I’d try something new this time instead of boiling shrimp in spices. I thought I’d try slow cooker party shrimp. And wow! Perfectly cooked shrimp, tender and moist, about as hassle-free as you can possibly get. This is absolutely the easiest way to cook up a big batch of shrimp for a party.
You can cook these slow cooker party shrimp ahead of time and chill them to serve them cold, or let your guests grab the shrimp right out of the slow cooker. Well, using tongs would probably be a good idea.
I used 20-24 count wild caught Gulf shrimp for this dish. I prefer Gulf shrimp, and I prefer wild and not farm-raised. Gulf shrimp that have been living in the wilds cannot be beat. That’s why I also use them in my shrimpin’ dippin’ broth.
Also make a batch of my refried bean dip in your slow cooker. It’s another great party dish.
Slow Cooker Party Shrimp
- 1 envelope crab boil spices or use 2 tablespoons of Old Bay per pound of shrimp
- 12 beer
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 4 pounds shrimp large, frozen
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Add enough water to cover the shrimp.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until the shrimp are pink and done.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with cocktail sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.