Spiral-cut hams from the grocery store are already cooked, and often smoked. That doesn’t mean that they can’t get even more awesome with a little more time on a smoker. A sweet glaze doesn’t hurt either. The end result is a lightly smoky flavored ham with a deliciously sweet crust. Like this smoked and glazed spiral-sliced ham that disappeared in no time.
This smoked and glazed spiral-sliced ham was perfect for sandwiches, salads, and just eaten as-is.
If you want to kick up your ham with a coffee-infused gravy, check out my red- and black-eyed gravies. My pepper onion beer sauce makes for a great topping for ham!
Smoked and Glazed Spiral-Sliced Ham
Spiral-cut hams from the grocery store are already cooked, and often smoked. That doesn’t mean that they can’t get even more awesome with a little more time on a smoker.
- 1 ham Spiral-sliced half ham, with natural juices, around 10 pounds (I used a Cook's Honey Ham)
- Your favorite BBQ rub a honey-flavored rub works well here
- A few chunks of smoking wood apple or cherry
For the basting sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 stick salted butter melted
- Fire up a smoker for cooking at 225 F. You can also make this in an oven or on a grill over indirect heat, but be careful to not dry out the ham – keep the temperature low and baste it often.
- Add 2 small chunks of cherry or apple wood. Do not add very much wood or it will over-power the ham, since it is already smoked.
- Sprinkle the ham with the rub and massage it into the meat. Transfer the ham to the smoker.
- Combine the syrup and butter.
- Every 1 hour, baste the ham with the basting sauce.
- Continue cooking for about 5 hours or until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 140 F. Remember, the ham is already cooked. You’re just warming it and adding flavor.
- Let the ham rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.
Calories: 2508kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 216g | Fat: 173g | Saturated Fat: 63g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 635mg | Sodium: 11921mg | Potassium: 2884mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 176IU | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 9mg
Nutritional values are approximate.