This warm, creamy Southwestern cheese sauce is perfect as a dip for chips or preztels. It’s also fantastic on hot dogs and hamburgers and anywhere else you need a cheese sauce, but with a nice kick! Next time you have a recipe that calls for that “other” cheese sauce, substitute this instead!
I use my homemade Cajun seasoning in this Southwestern cheese sauce. It’s very easy to make. Plus it has the added advantage that I can control the amount of salt. I always keep a big batch of it in the pantry because i used it in just about everything.
Southwestern Cheese Sauce
- Warm milk in a small pan over medium heat until steamy. Keep an eye on it and don’t let it bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Whisk in the warmed milk until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Stir in the Cajun seasoning and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add in the salsa, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
Nutritional values are approximate.