I actually came up with this idea on my own. I usually get inspired by other folk’s recipes, then try to adjust them to our likings or based on what ingredients I have on hand. The idea for this taco po boy just hit me out of the blue. It’s just like a taco, but served on French bread with a kicked up remoulade sauce.
I have been on a po boy kick lately. It’s due mainly to the Kaw-Cajun Comeback sauce from Chez John. I make that stuff in big batches and put it on everything, usually “normal” po boys, like shrimp or such, but now also a taco po boy.
I actually came up with this idea on my own. I usually get inspired by other folk’s recipes, then try and adjust them to our likings or based on what ingredients I have on hand. This one just hit me out of the blue.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or use 2-3 tablespoons of our homemade version
- 4-6 tablespoons Kaw-Cajun Comeback sauce
- handful lettuce shredded
- 1 handful Doritos any flavor, lightly crushed
- 1/2 large tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Pickled or fresh jalapeno slices
- Hollow out the bread. Optionally, lightly brown the bread in the oven if you want a little crunch.
- Cook beef in seasoning per package instructions. Let cool slightly.
- Slather insides of bread with Comeback sauce.
- Spoon in the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with chip pieces.
- Add tomatoes, lettuce and onion. Top with the cheese and jalapeno slices.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and bread starts to brown.
- Slice into 2″ wide pieces and serve.
Calories: 729kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1445mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1153IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 196mg | Iron: 7mg
Nutritional values are approximate.