I actually came up with this idea on my own. I usually get inspired by other folk’s recipes, then try to adjust them to our likings or based on what ingredients I have on hand. The idea for this taco po boy just hit me out of the blue. It’s just like a taco, but served on French bread with a kicked up remoulade sauce.
I have been on a po boy kick lately. It’s due mainly to the Kaw-Cajun Comeback sauce from Chez John. I make that stuff in big batches and put it on everything, usually “normal” po boys, like shrimp or such, but now also a taco po boy.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Shred it yourself and use the good stuff.
Also try my chicken nugget po boy.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or use 2-3 tablespoons of our homemade version
- 4-6 tablespoons Kaw-Cajun Comeback sauce
- handful lettuce shredded
- 1 handful Doritos any flavor, lightly crushed
- ½ large tomato chopped
- ¼ cup white onion chopped
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Pickled or fresh jalapeno slices
- Hollow out the bread. Optionally, lightly brown the bread in the oven if you want a little crunch.
- Cook beef in seasoning per package instructions. Let cool slightly.
- Slather insides of bread with Comeback sauce.
- Spoon in the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with chip pieces.
- Add tomatoes, lettuce and onion. Top with the cheese and jalapeno slices.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and bread starts to brown.
- Slice into 2″ wide pieces and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.