The best baked potato has a crispy skin that crunches when you cut into it. The ‘meat’ is almost creamy. Baking them is what makes them fantastic.There are few things that are as easy as or as good as a great spud. This is how I make them. They are always fantastic time after time.
Here’s how we make our potatoes in the oven. Foil? Notice that there isn’t any to be found. When you foil them you are steaming them and the skin will never come up crunchy yummy.
The Best Baked Potato
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse the potatoes under cold water and brush off any dirt. Dry well with a paper towel.
- Pierce each potato 4 times with a sharp knife.
- Brush potatoes with oil.
- Sprinkle some salt onto a plate and roll the potatoes in the salt.
- Place potatoes directly on the oven center rack. You might want to put a baking sheet lined with foil beneath them to catch any drippings.
- Bake until potatoes are done (210 F internal temperature, or tender all the way through when poked with a knife), 40-60 minutes depending on their size. You can also test for doneness by squeezing the potatoes (with potholders on). If they give easily, they are done.
Nutritional values are approximate.