I’ve been a subscriber to Louisiana Cookin’ magazine for years. This tropical shrimp salad is a great example of why I’ve been a loyal reader for so long. This salad was incredible. A wonderful combination of fruits and shrimp, with a light creamy dressing that has a hint of vanilla. It was the perfect dish on a hot summer’s day. Make sure you chill the salad ahead of time and serve it as cold as possible.
I made this tropical shrimp salad a main dish by using large shrimp and large melon balls. You can also serve this as a side or a great pitch-in dish by using smaller shrimp and melon balls. This salad is also absolutely fantastic without the shrimp. If you do use smaller, cheaper shrimp, cut your fruits a little smaller to match. You want everything to be about the same size.
I used a Greek vanilla yogurt but regular ole plain yogurt works just fine too. There’s no way you can go wrong with this salad.
I recently discovered Blue Plate mayonnaise, which I think is the best around. If you can’t find it locally you can pick it up online for a fair price.
Also try my Peruvian Palta Rellena.
Tropical Shrimp Salad
For the salad
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp large, cooked and peeled
- 2 cups pineapple chopped
- 1 ⅓ cups honeydew melon cut into balls
- 1 ⅓ cups watermelon cut into balls
- 1 ⅓ cups cantaloupe cut into balls
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded, sliced
- ¼ cup green onion chopped, plus more for garnish
For the salad
- Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl and stir gently.
For the dressing
- Whisk together all ingredients and pour over the shrimp and fruit mixture.
- Stir gently.
- Serve garnished with chopped green onions and dill.
Nutritional values are approximate.