This is my go-to hot dog chili dog sauce. I let it slow cook for a while to get good and tender. And I also make a huge batch and freeze some for later. I have to have sauce on my dogs.This chili dog sauce is also outstanding over burgers, topped with cheese and chopped onion.
I found this in The Real Chili Cookbook: America’s 100 All-Time Favorite Recipes. I found a copy at the Exit 76 Antique Mall for $3.50. Besides this recipe, I’ve made 5 or 6 of the chili recipes from the book and all have been fantastic. It’s one of the best finds I’ve made!
Chili Dog Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or less
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- Brown the ground beef and drain.
- Add onion and garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. If the sauce gets too thin add a bit of water.
- Note: You can also cover and slow-cook this sauce for a few hours if you wish. It comes out nice and tender. Cook it less for a chili sauce with a little more bite from the beef.
- Update: I made this great sauce again over the weekend. Our grocery store was out of premium enchilada sauce, so I used a "lesser" brand. I ended up adding a good amount of hot chile powder to the mix, but it still came out fantastic.