Wow, it’s just like the cherry Slurpee I remember from when I was a young kid! Super cherry flavor and so refreshing. And of course, you get a wonderful red tongue as a bonus!
To really bring back the memories of having a cherry Slurpee as a child, I drank this fast enough to get a full-on brain freeze. I didn’t do it on purpose (who does?), but I wasn’t surprised that it happened!
This prompted me to look up brain freeze (aka an ice-cream headache) on Wikipedia: “Ice cream headaches” result from quickly eating or drinking very cold substances. It is commonly experienced when applying ice-cream (or similar) to the roof of the mouth (palate) or when swallowing it. Typically, the headache appears in about 10 seconds and lasts about 20 seconds. The term ice-cream headache has been in use since at least 31 January 1937.
Also try my no-carb sherbet pops, another great beat-the-heat treat.
- 2 cups club soda well chilled, divided (use diet club soda if desired)
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon Kool-Aid cherry-flavored unsweetened drink mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
- 2 1/2 cups crushed ice
- Place 1 cup of club soda, the sugar, Kool-Aid mix, and cherry extract until a blender and blend until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the crushed ice and blend until slushy without any big ice chunks.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of club soda and blend until the mix reaches the desired consistency.