Anita told me that her sister was coming over to spend the night. No way was I gonna serve some something out-of-a-box. Nope. I had to pull out the big guns. No shortcuts. This marinated cheese was it. And truth be told, it was easy.
Everyone absolutely loved this marinated cheese. It’s hard to stop eating it. The combination of the soft, smooth cream cheese and sturdy, tangy extra sharp cheddar is great by itself. Add in some fresh herbs and a few spices and you have a great appetizer. The peppers in our garden were ripe. I grabbed one and used it in this cheese instead of opening a jar of pimentos.
Also try my easy marinated mushrooms.
For the cheeses
- 1 8 ounce block sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 2 ounce jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Unwrap the cheeses and place on a plate in the freezer for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk well.
- Cut both cheese blocks in half lengthwise.
- Slice the cheeses into 1/4" thick squares.
- Place cheeses into a resealable container, standing them on edge (think dominoes).
- Add the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate 8-12 hours.