Chez John (aka Fat Johnny) turns out some mighty darned good grub (check out his awesome blog at Fat Johnny’s Front Porch). Like his Fat Johnny’s cheesy cornbread. We absolutely love the addition of sweet corn to cornbread. The cornbread cooks up perfectly. Soft and moist with an incredible cheesy flavor.
Just about anything can be added to Fat Johnny’s cheese cornbread. Try finely chopped cooked Mexican chorizo. Or ham or bacon. Or broccoli. Really, anything.
We cooked the cornbread in round pans, but of course you can use muffin tins instead. The cornbread might cook quicker in tins, so keep an eye on it after about 15 minutes of cooking.
Fat Johnny's Cheesy Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or canned, drained
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup fine diced sweet onion
- 1 cup plus more, buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Set out two medium bowls.
- In one bowl, gently stir together all of the wet ingredients.
- In the other bowl stir together the dry ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, forming a batter. If it's too clumpy add more buttermilk, a little at a time, and stir.
- Pour batter into a muffin tin or pie pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.