Back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper I was lucky enough to live right next to my school. That meant that some days I could run home and grab a quick lunch (while watching The Gong Show, but that’s a whole other story). Now, mom usually made me a sandwich or maybe heated some soup, but on rare occasions she’d heat up frozen pizza rolls (at my request… or begging!). I could devour them no matter how many she made and no matter how much they burned the top of my mouth (who waits for them to cool off?).
Well, here I am a few years later. And I still love pizza rolls. But now I make them at home. A little pizza sauce, some baby pepperoni, cheese and a little heat, all wrapped in a wonton wrapper. In no time I’m burning the roof of my mouth again, enjoying the snacks and memories from years ago.
These homemade pizza rolls are great for parties. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them. Bake just before your guests arrive. You can also make all sorts of variations on them, using your favorite pizza toppings. Just don’t use anything too wet, such as canned mushrooms, without first patting it dry. Otherwise the wrappers might get too soggy and they’ll pop while baking.
Homemade Pizza Rolls
- 1 5 ounce package mini pepperoni (you can also substitute 1/3 pound cooked Italian sausage, ground fine after cooking and cooling slightly)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces pizza sauce plus more for dipping, if desired
- Red pepper flake to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine the pepperoni, cheese, sauce, and red pepper flake in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and water.
- Working in batches, lay the wonton wrappers out on a flat surface in the shape of a diamond, with one point pointing towards you.
- Lightly brush the edges of the wrapper with the egg wash.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the sauce mixture into the center of the wonton.
- Grab the topmost (furthest away from you) point of the diamond and fold over the sauce mixture. Press down around the edges to seal.
- Fold in the left and right sides and press down on the edges to seal.
- Finally, fold over the bottom side (the point pointing towards you) and then press lightly around the edges to seal. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with foil or use a silpat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with warmed additional pizza sauce for dipping if desired.