After making a big batch of crazy delicious Bloody Mary chicken wings I knew exactly what I needed to make next: Bloody Mary Buffalo Chicken, using a Vortex insert on my Weber Performer grill. Crispy, crunchy, moist, tender, juicy. And spicy.
Using the Vortex makes making seems-like-fried chicken an absolute breeze. It’s something I make often, and as often as I can!
The fried chicken mix recipe can be used for any chicken, it doesn’t have to be Bloody Mary flavored. The coating adheres perfectly and gives you that perfect crispy crust. For me, my go-to chicken on the Vortex is bone-in, skin-on thighs. They are the juiciest and have the most flavor.
I love making fried chicken using my Vortex. This Bloody Mary Buffalo version is just another reason why!
Bloody Mary Buffalo Chicken using the Vortex
- 6-8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (or your preferred cuts)
- Vegetable oil
- Fried chicken mix below
- Bloody Mary Seasoning below
- Bloody Mary Buffalo sauce below
For the fried chicken mix
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika you can use smoked paprika for more grilled-like flavor
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Bloody Mary seasoning see below, to taste
For the Bloody Mary seasoning (makes enough for the wings with some leftover for rimming Bloody Mary glasses!)
- 5 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground celery seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Fire up your Kettle grill with the Vortex loaded with charcoal. Don't start cooking until the coals are all lit and starting to ash over.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Place the fried chicken mix into a large baggie.
- Lightly brush the chicken with vegetable oil.
- Working in batches, place chicken pieces in the bag. Seal and shake. Shake off excess.
- Transfer chicken to the grill along the edges, skin-side up.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes, turning the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes lightly brush the chicken with the Buffalo sauce. Don't be shy. Note: If you are using pieces other than split chicken breasts, you'll want to rotate the pieces at this time.
- Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until the chicken hits 160 F. Fee free to brush with more Buffalo sauce, to taste.
- Remove and let rest and come to 165 F before serving.