This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I was surprised as to how well these grilled Hobo packets came out. The first time I made them, they were a little bland, so I made a few changes the second time and they turned out great! This does not have to be a follow-the-recipe recipe. You can pretty much go with whatever ingredients you have available. Use dark meat chicken instead. Or smoked sausage. Don’t like squash? Leave it out. It’s just not that picky of an recipe and it’s hard to make it come out tasting bad.
These are very easy to make and cook (I made them on my trusty Weber grill!). They’re perfect for a hot evening when you don’t want to heat up the house – everything is in one simple packet. The flavors all meld and get happy inside as they cook. You can leave out what you don’t want and add more of what you do want. Just don’t forget the Cajun seasoning. And depending on how much liquid cooks out of your vegetables, you might find yourself adding a bit more of the dressing. Just be careful opening the packets, as the steam is hot (it is steam after all!).
Grilled Hobo Packets
- 1 pound summer sausage or smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 medium potatoes cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 head green cabbage shredded
- 1 large sweet onion cut into chunks
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 medium squash sliced
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins or breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into wedges
- ½ stick butter cut into cubes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Italian salad dressing
- Set up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Tear off 4 large sheets of aluminum foil.
- Combine all the but the seasoning and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to mix.
- Divide the mixture between each piece of foil, creating a pile in the middle.
- Season each packet with the Cajun seasoning (and/or salt and pepper) and seal well. Place over medium high heat and cook 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is done.
- Serve drizzled with a little dressing.
Nutritional values are approximate.