This is the sauce I use on my Creole meatballs if I am serving them over pasta or on meatball sandwiches. The meatballs already have some kick, so this sauce is a little more mellow. But, if you want more heat, just substitute Rotel tomatoes for the diced tomatoes and pucker up!
How can you pass up a Creole meatball sub sandwich, smothered in this great sauce?
Or meatballs over pasta, heaped with delicious sauce?
This sauce is also fantastic on my Creole pizza.
Creole Meatball Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook until slightly softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add sugar, Creole seasoning to taste, and the basil. Stir and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.