These shamrock Peeps Rice Krispies treats were fun to make…
…specially if you’re into watching poor little Peeps meet their demise in a hot pot! Anita hates when I do this to ‘them’.
Although I used green Peeps to make these for St. Patrick’s day, you can use any color, or even a combination of colors (don’t mix them together – let them melt in place). They taste just like your usual Rice Krispies treats. If you don’t have Peeps (they are now available year-round in some places), just use marshmallows and green food coloring.
Peeps melted down make for a fun syrup to add to any Rice Krispies treat.
Shamrock Peeps Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 40 Peeps 4 packages
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a large non-stick pot.
- Add the Peeps to the pot and melt them, stirring occasionally. Do not overcook or the butter will burn.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the cereal.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and spread it out. I used a spatula sprayed with non-stick spray to make it easier to spread out the cereal.
- Let cool 30 minutes and cut into bars.
Nutritional values are approximate.