These rapid rolls from Kelsey Nixon are superb! They are flaky and sweet. Perfect for soppin’, or biscuits and gravy, or even as slider rolls. They are also very easy to make. All you need is a blender and a 12″ cast-iron skillet. The heck with buying pre-made rolls. These are way, way better!
This recipe for rapid rolls makes a big ole batch. So it is perfect for a family get-together! The rolls are just as great the next day so don’t worry that it makes so many.
Also, the dough is (supposedly) great as a pizza dough. I’ll try that next!
These rapid rolls are superb! They are flaky and sweet. Perfect for soppin’, or biscuits and gravy, or even as slider rolls. They are also very easy to make.
- 3 packets active dry yeast .25 ounce packets, or about 6 3/4 teaspoons jarred yeast
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt divided, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 5 cups flour you might need more
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place warm water into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a mixing paddle. Add the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until bubbling.
- Add in the honey,
- Turn the mixer on low. Pour in 1/2 cup of the butter, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and both eggs.
- Begin adding the flour, slowly. After about 4 cups keep an eye on the mixture as you add more dough. You want the dough to be only slightly sticky, forming a ball that does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour.
- Shape the dough into a large log and cut into thirds. Then cut each third in half, for a total of 6 pieces. Cut each portion in half again, and then one more time. You’ll end up with 24 pieces all roughly the same size.
- Form dough pieces into small balls.
- Lightly butter a 12″ cast-iron skillet.
- Add dough balls. Let rise for 20 minutes or until they double in size.
- Brush tops of dough with melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.