I am not a baker. That’s why I have a bread machine. I’m lucky even still to get something that resembles a loaf of bread. And I’m really lucky (and happy) if I get a loaf that tastes as fantastic as this Italian herb bread. The aroma from this bread as it bakes is insane. If I could bottle it I would put it into air fresheners. Herbs are throughout the bread so there’s no chance you take a bite and don’t get all that deliciousness.
I wouldn’t change a thing about this bread machine Italian herb bread. Well, that’s sort of true. I sometimes sneak in a pinch or two or three of red pepper flake. Just enough for a bit of spiciness but not so much that the bread is ‘hot’. But trust me, the bread is fantastic just as it is.
Bread Machine Italian Herb Bread
- 10 ounces water room temperature (you might need as much as 12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour plus a bit more for working the dough
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Place ingredients into bread machine in the order listed.
- Process on dough cycle.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface and your hands. Remove dough from bread machine and work into a ball, folding with your hands.
- Transfer to lightly oiled bread baking pan.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Transfer to a warm place and let rise until doubled, 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Carefully remove the wrap. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool slightly before slicing.
Nutritional values are approximate.