These little sausage-stuffed grilled sweet peppers are like popcorn. You just keep popping them into your mouth. They are very, very good. The original inspiration came from Chris over at the Nibble Me This blog site. Check Chris’ site out. He always posts great grilling and smoking ideas.
Since we are currently remodeling our kitchen we made these entirely on our ancient Weber gas grill. No matter what you use to make them, these sausage-stuffed grilled sweet peppers are fantastic.
The Italian sausage mixture is moist, tender, and very tasty! For a pizza twist, try my grilled bell pepper pizzas!
Sausage-Stuffed Grilled Sweet Peppers
- 1 pound mini sweet bell peppers
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Vidalia onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flake or much more
- 1/4 cup Italian cheese blend shredded
- Soak some bamboo skewers in water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain peppers and place into an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until nearly done.
- Add onion, garlic, tomato, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir and cook until onions are softened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cheese. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Fill peppers with the sausage mixture. Skewer and place over direct heat on a grill for 3-5 minutes. Flip and grill another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.