I absolutely loved these bacon cheese-stuffed peppers. Every bite was full of my favorite things, like cheese and bacon. And a bit of sharp onion and sweet roasted bell pepper. I left the onions fairly crunchy because I was looking for a great crunch (along with the crunch of the bacon) to contrast the soft pepper and gooey cheese. You can cook yours further if you want but don’t go overboard. Crunch here is a good thing.
For a spicier version, substitute habanero jack cheese for the cheeses, and use poblano peppers instead of red bell peppers. A sprinkle or two of red pepper flake on top isn’t going to hurt anything either. You can’t go wrong with bacon cheese-stuffed peppers no matter how you change them up (if you do).
Also try my sausage-stuffed Hatch chiles.
Bacon Cheese-Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese more or less, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese more or less, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add the bacon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until crisp, turning once. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Cut peppers in half vertically. Remove any seeds.
- Place peppers on a baking dish and fill the halves with the beer. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, crumble the bacon into a bowl and add the onion and cheeses.
- Uncover the peppers and pour off any remaining beer. Fill cavities with the bacon mixture and return to the oven, uncovered, until the cheese is melted.
Nutritional values are approximate.