Any time I cook up a batch of St. Louis-style ribs, I make rib tips. Rib tips are the various trimmings leftover from making a rack of spareribs into a rack of St. Louis ribs.
I’m a big, big fan of rib tips. They’re tender and tasty, and best of all, they are done before the ribs are, making for an excellent snack while you’re waiting for the main attraction.
Remember that there is a lot of cartilage and bone in tips. You have to be careful eating them as sometimes you can get a small piece in a bite. Just chew slow and enjoy the lovely flavor.
Check out my recipe for 3-2-1 St. Louis-style spareribs. They are fantastically tender and tasty, and of course, you can make some tips from the trimmings! It’s a win-win!
- Season rib tips with your favorite rub.
- Smoke along with your ribs at 225 F, for 2 hours.
- Remove tips to a pot and add BBQ sauce to cover.
- Simmer for another hour or until very tender.
- Serve with lots of paper towels.
Nutritional values are approximate.