We have long enjoyed our favorite appetizer meatball recipe, but this version of sweet-and-spicy appetizer meatballs from Johnsonville takes the idea to a new level.
Johnsonville recently came out with a line of meatballs. They are soooooo much better than the usual pre-made meatballs you can pick up in your grocer’s freezer section. This is our first time using them, but I can definitely see us cooking with them more!
I think the elements that really make these meatballs stand out are the great meatballs, of course, and also the Kalamata olives. They really add a great richness to the sauce. These are perfect for game-time munching!
For something a bit spicier, give your guests some fire-eater chicken meatballs. Also try my meatball sliders. They make great appetizers too.
Sweet-and-Spicy Appetizer Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives sliced
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 24 ounce meatballs frozen, thawed
- ½ 14 ounce cranberry sauce
- 16 ounce diced tomatoes un-drained
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flake or more
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shaved
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in the olives, onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the cheese. Stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add in the cheese and stir to melt.
- Continue simmering for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are completely warmed through.
- Keep warm for serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.