I served these fantastic onion burgers 3 different ways over 3 nights. Two were on buns, and one was bun-less. All three versions were absolutely fantastic. The patties have a nice kick to them, thanks to the spicy V8 juice and some sassy Russ & Franks BBQ sauce (substitute your favorite if you can’t find Russ & Franks). The onion soup mix gives them an almost meatloaf like flavor.
My first take on these burgers was topped with Swiss cheese, BBQ sauce, and sauteed mushrooms.
Then, I served them topped with BBQ sauce, Swiss and French fried onions.
Here’s the bun-less version. Great comfort food!
Because of the V8 juice you can use fairly lean ground beef in these burgers without fear of them drying out.
Onion Burgers Version 2.0
For the burgers
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- ½ cup spicy V8 juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns unless going bun-less, of course
- your favorite BBQ sauce
- French fried onions or sauteed mushrooms or Cajun gravy, for topping
- Make the patties by combining all of the burger ingredients and then forming into 6 patties. Do not overwork the meat or it will fall apart.
- Refrigerate patties for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers until done, but do not play with them on the grill. The more you move them around, the better the chances they’ll fall apart. Be gentle!
- Serve as desired on buns or bunless, with your favorite toppings.
Nutritional values are approximate.