Ok, that’s it. I’m officially giving up fried onion rings. And fried pickles. From here on, it’s these fried poblano strips for me and nothing else. They have that nice crunch you get from panko breadcrumbs. And they have that nice little kick from the poblanos and cayenne. Not really hot, just a great spiciness.
I served these little treasures on top of a grilled ribeye steak. But of course you could eat fried poblano strips as a side or even an appetizer, served with a cool Ranch dipping sauce.
Also try my Cajun fried mushrooms and beer-battered fried mushrooms.
Fried Poblano Strips
Ok, that’s it. I’m officially giving up fried onion rings. And fried pickles. From here on, it’s these fried poblano strips for me and nothing else.
- 3 poblano chiles
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs or more
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Roast the poblanos under your broiler or on the grill until well charred, turning to get all sides good and roasted.
- Remove from heat and let cool until you can handle them.
- Remove the charred skins and seeds. Do not rinse them in water or you’ll loose all the great roasted flavor.
- Cut the peppers into rings (some of my peppers exploded, so I ended up with pepper bites instead of rings).
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pan to 350 F.
- Arrange 3 shallow bowls.
- In the first place the flour and stir in a few pinches of salt.
- In the second bowl, crack the eggs and scramble them with a fork or whisk.
- The last bowl is for the panko and cayenne. Just stir them together.
- Working in batches, dip the poblano rings into the flour and coat.
- Shake off any excess flour, then dip them into the eggs. Coat well.
- Shake off any excess egg, and dip into the panko mixture. Coat well.
- Slowly add the poblanos to the oil. Fry them until golden and crispy on the one side, 2-4 minutes, then flip and fry on the other side for about the same amount of time.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
Calories: 1693kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 168g | Saturated Fat: 134g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 657IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.