Oh boy. Fried mozzarella sticks. Another food that I cannot be trusted with. I have no self control around them. Someone has to be the adult, and it’s not me. Ooey gooey cheese sticks covered in bread crumbs, cheese and a little seasoning. All ready to be dunked into some warmed marinara sauce right before the journey into my mouth.
As difficult as it is to do, you’ll need to wait a minute or two to let these fried mozzarella sticks cool before devouring them. I try to think about something else, like yard work, to distract me during the painful waiting period.
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 8 pieces mozzarella string cheese sliced vertically into 16 sticks
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Marinara sauce warmed, for dipping
- Place the flour into a pie pan.
- In a separate pie pan beat the eggs with the milk.
- In a third pie pan combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic salt and seasoning salt.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Dredge the cheese sticks in the flour, followed by the egg wash and lastly the breadcrumbs.
- Place cheese sticks into the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs on more time then transfer to the baking sheet.
- Freeze for 1 hour to overnight (longer is better).
- Heat oil to 350 F.
- Working in batches, fry the cheese stocks for 30 seconds-1 minute per side until golden brown then flip and fry another 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.